You are all set to redesign your website, refine your marketing message, launch a business blog and you want to ensure your online content is up to standard.
That’s a great start
But what about all the content that’s already published on your site. How do you know what content is good, what’s not, what content you have, what’s missing and what content needs to be or updated?
That’s where a content audit can come in handy. This is the essential first step towards building a correct content marketing strategy.
What is a Content Audit?
A content audit is the process of qualitatively assessing all the content on your site. It helps assess the strengths and weaknesses of your content. It shows you what your content has achieved, how well (or poorly) it’s performing and identify thematic gaps.
When done right, a content audit helps you to detect gaps in your content so you can adjust your content creation process to better meet the expectations of your target audience. This will pave the way for a mature content strategy.
Why Do a Content Audit?
You won’t know what you need until you know what you already have. When you want your content marketing efforts to pay off and drive more traffic, leads and sales, you need to identify and plug all the holes in your strategy.
- It assesses your existing content to help prepare for your new website.
- It provides direction for your content strategy.
- It helps you to remove sub-par content.
- It allows you to identify whether your current content inventory meets the minimum standards of quality and relevance.
- It helps you to make sure your content is delivering the desired results (traffic, conversions, rankings, etc.)
- You can identify the content gaps that need to be addressed.
- Understand the stages of your sales funnel that have poor content.